By Ryan Clark on June 10, 2012
Alberto Del Rio, who is still recovering from surgery following a groin tear last year, is believed to have suffered a concussion during last Tuesday’s SmackDown taping in Columbia, South Carolina. Therefore, he may be unable to compete against Sheamus for the World Heavyweight Championship at No Way Out on June 17. WWE officials brainstormed alternative scenarios Friday in case Del Rio is unable to wrestle at the pay-per-view event.
Looking to get under the skin of the World Heavyweight Champion, Del Rio brought out Ricardo Rodriguez to make light of the Irish brawler by mimicking his distinctive red hair, outfit and gestures. The real Sheamus then appeared, where the fight would eventually spread to the steel stage. The Celtic Warrior slammed Del Rio’s head against the metal WWE logo, leading to his possible concussion.
Del Rio did not appear as scheduled for last night’s SmackDown live event in Salisbury, Maryland. Rather, Sheamus defended his strap against the winner of a match pitting Kane against The Great Khali.
UPDATE: A WWE source told sports blog Corey Unfiltered (coryradford.blog.com) Friday that Alberto Del Rio suffered a “serious concussion” at last Tuesday’s SmackDown taping in Columbia, South Carolina. During a skirmish, Sheamus slammed Del Rio’s head against the metal WWE logo, leading to his concussion. Kane replaced Del Rio as Sheamus’ Steel Cage Match opponent in the post-taping bout and at Saturday’s SmackDown live event in Salisbury, Maryland.
Del Rio’s injury puts his World Heavyweight Championship Match against Sheamus at No Way Out on June 17 in jeopardy since WWE officials believe he will not receive medical clearance in time for the pay-per-view event. Contingency plans are being discussed in case Del Rio is unable to compete, including removing Kane from the WWE Championship Match against CM Punk and Daniel Bryan. Other plans broached include a Battle Royal or a Beat the Clock Challenge to take place at this Tuesday’s SmackDown taping in Manchester, New Hampshire
Meanwhile, WWE heads Vince McMahon and Triple H are becoming increasingly worried that Del Rio cannot be relied on due to injury concerns. He is being compared to former WWE star Mr. Kennedy (now known as Mr. Anderson in TNA Wrestling), whose reputation for being injury prone partially led to his release from the organization in 2009.
Posted in: Featured
Last 10 posts in Featured
- Austin Aries 'Severely Fined' For Sexual Harassment - May 15th, 2013
- Backstage Update & Plans For Evan Bourne's Return - May 15th, 2013
- Backstage Update - Christian's WWE Return? - May 15th, 2013
- Backstage Plans For Extreme Rules & SummerSlam - May 15th, 2013
- Possible 2014 WWE Hall Of Fame **SPOILERS** - May 15th, 2013
- MAJOR UPDATE - The Rock & WWE - Legit Injury?, Rematch? - April 9th, 2013
- 2 WWE Title Changes On RAW - Dolph Ziggler Cashes In! - April 9th, 2013
- The Undertaker's Next Feud?, CM Punk Update, & More - April 9th, 2013
- <b>WWE WRESTLEMANIA 29 RESULTS - 4/7/2013!</b> - April 7th, 2013
- Full WWE Hall Of Fame Report - Bruno, Trish, Backlund! - April 7th, 2013