By Ryan Clark on December 8, 2013
A.J. Styles appears to be departing from TNA for the first time since the company’s formation in 2002. Styles’ current contract extension expires on the 16th of the month and he will be a free agent after that; he has already begun taking independent bookings.
Styles and TNA reportedly couldn’t come to terms on money; with the company trying to cut costs, the two sides have had a wide gulf in the amount of money they wanted the deal to be for and despite the two-month extension signed in October, they were unable to work things out. TNA was unable to offer Styles what he had been making and Styles, who felt he was a big part of the company and its brand, wouldn’t agree to a lesser deal.
The departure of Styles has reportedly “sent a bad signal” to other TNA originals who have deals coming up; the message is that the company will lose their originals if they can’t make a deal fit their financial requirements. Styles is moving forward with outside projects such as his autobiography and his participation in a speaking tour of the UK next year.
More as we get it.
UPDATE: As noted earlier, AJ Styles is not only accepting independent wrestling bookings in 2014, but is looking for regular bookings in the first quarter of 2014. According to reports, the reason for this is that AJ Styles will be officially parting ways with TNA next week. AJ has already reached out to ROH regarding a return if WWE isn’t interested. In the past, WWE hasn’t been interested in Styles. We’re told AJ is open to all indy bookings at this point. As you can imagine, numerous promotions are interested in him.
We’re told Styles will NOT be appearing at ROH Final Battle in New York City as the show takes place this Saturday, December 14th. At that time, he’s still under contract with TNA.
The current contract that Styles is under with TNA right now is set to expire on December 16th. As of December 17th, AJ Styles will officially be a free agent and can work anywhere he wants.
We will have more details on this story on Monday morning.
Posted in: Featured
Leave a Reply
Last 10 posts in Featured
- <i>WWE Money In The Bank Results (6/14)!</i> - June 14th, 2015
- UPDATES (FRIDAY - 12:15AM EST): Dusty Rhodes Passes Away - June 11th, 2015
- <i>Elimination Chamber Results (5/31) - New Champs!</i> - May 31st, 2015
- MAJOR UPDATE - ROH, TNA & Destination America - Complete Details - May 31st, 2015
- Backstage News & Original Plans For Zayn, Balor & Owens Revealed - May 31st, 2015
- Kevin Owens Reveals When He Was Told WWE Was Signing Him - May 31st, 2015
- <i>WWE Payback Results (5/17) - Fatal-4Way, 'I Quit'!</i> - May 17th, 2015
- REPORT: Samoa Joe Signs With WWE - May 17th, 2015
- Batista Rips WWE, Praises Titus O'Neil - Details - May 17th, 2015
- The Lineups For GFW's First Live Events Revealed - Details - May 17th, 2015