By Ryan Clark on December 8, 2013
A.J. Styles appears to be departing from TNA for the first time since the company’s formation in 2002. Styles’ current contract extension expires on the 16th of the month and he will be a free agent after that; he has already begun taking independent bookings.
Styles and TNA reportedly couldn’t come to terms on money; with the company trying to cut costs, the two sides have had a wide gulf in the amount of money they wanted the deal to be for and despite the two-month extension signed in October, they were unable to work things out. TNA was unable to offer Styles what he had been making and Styles, who felt he was a big part of the company and its brand, wouldn’t agree to a lesser deal.
The departure of Styles has reportedly “sent a bad signal” to other TNA originals who have deals coming up; the message is that the company will lose their originals if they can’t make a deal fit their financial requirements. Styles is moving forward with outside projects such as his autobiography and his participation in a speaking tour of the UK next year.
More as we get it.
UPDATE: As noted earlier, AJ Styles is not only accepting independent wrestling bookings in 2014, but is looking for regular bookings in the first quarter of 2014. According to reports, the reason for this is that AJ Styles will be officially parting ways with TNA next week. AJ has already reached out to ROH regarding a return if WWE isn’t interested. In the past, WWE hasn’t been interested in Styles. We’re told AJ is open to all indy bookings at this point. As you can imagine, numerous promotions are interested in him.
We’re told Styles will NOT be appearing at ROH Final Battle in New York City as the show takes place this Saturday, December 14th. At that time, he’s still under contract with TNA.
The current contract that Styles is under with TNA right now is set to expire on December 16th. As of December 17th, AJ Styles will officially be a free agent and can work anywhere he wants.
We will have more details on this story on Monday morning.
Posted in: Featured
Leave a Reply
Last 10 posts in Featured
- <i>WRESTLEMANIA 32 RESULTS - APRIL 3RD, 2016!</i> - April 3rd, 2016
- Sting Announces His 'Retirement From WWE' At WWE HOF - April 3rd, 2016
- Brock Lesnar Discusses The Money In His Bank Account - April 3rd, 2016
- Ric Flair Reacts To The Hogan vs. Gawker Trial, 'Woooo' Chant - April 3rd, 2016
- Backstage Updates - Kota Ibushi & Ricochet To WWE, & More - April 3rd, 2016
- <i>WWE Fastlane Results (2/21) - Reigns To WM32!</i> - February 21st, 2016
- <i>WWE Royal Rumble Results (1/24) - The Winner Is?!</i> - January 24th, 2016
- <i>WWE TLC Results (12/13) - Did Reigns Win Title?</i> - December 13th, 2015
- <i>Survivor Series Results (11/22) - The New Champion?</i> - November 22nd, 2015
- Backstage Update - The Rock Not At WrestleMania 32? - November 22nd, 2015