By Ryan Clark on February 21, 2013
As of this past weekend, these were the planned top four matches for WrestleMania 29:
- The Rock vs. John Cena (WWE Title)
- Alberto Del Rio vs. Jack Swagger (World Heavyweight title)
- CM Punk vs. The Undertaker
- Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H
While Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H is more or less set, the rest could change by WrestleMania. There is still no word on The Undertaker’s status. If he doesn’t work the show, Punk could be added to the Rock/Cena match. Cena vs. Punk on RAW puts that match into question, but a lot of the promotional material for WrestleMania 29 has been sent out and features The Rock vs. John Cena as the top match.
Meanwhile, Jack Swagger’s DUI and drug arrest on Wednesday has hurt their plans.
A Ryback vs. Chris Jericho (as a heel) match was planned, but it wasn’t teased this past RAW when Ryback, Jericho and Sheamus teamed up against The Shield. With Jericho off of TV for several weeks, it seems WWE may be going in a different direction with them as well. Sheamus vs. Mark Henry was also discussed but there hasn’t been any build to that either.
Top stars like Dolph Ziggler, Randy Orton, Big Show, The Shield, Kane and Daniel Bryan also currently have no obvious opponents for the show.
Even with the lack of direction, the feeling is that the show will still be a huge success because of the special attractions (The Rock, Brock Lesnar, Bruno Sammartino) and the show taking place in the New York market.
Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter
Posted in: Featured
Last 10 posts in Featured
- Breaking News: AJ Styles Leaving TNA - December 8th, 2013
- WrestleMania 31 & 32 Locations Revealed - Details - December 8th, 2013
- Backstage Update - WWE Tag-Team Turning Heel? - December 8th, 2013
- <i>WWE Survivor Series Results (11/24) - Orton/Cena?!</i> - November 24th, 2013
- Backstage Update - Hulk Hogan At WrestleMania 30? - November 20th, 2013
- Major Update: Ryback's 'Nuclear' Backstage Heat - November 20th, 2013
- Does Maryse Plan On Returning To WWE?, Details - November 20th, 2013
- Backstage Update - Paul Heyman's WWE Return & Plans - November 20th, 2013
- Backstage Update - The WWE Network Launch? - November 20th, 2013
- Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards Arrive At NXT - November 20th, 2013