By Ryan Clark on September 23, 2012
The Northeast Wrestling “Wrestling Under the Stars” event in Fishkill, NY featuring Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper and a slew of other names found the one opponent they couldn’t fight off – mother nature.
Just a few matches into the show (which they moved forward in an attempt to beat the rainstorm), a massive deluge opened up, halting the show and sending much of the crowd running for the dry sections of the stadium.
Once the rain finally let up enough, the remainder of the show went on, but under those conditions, the matches were greatly shortened to get everything in and finished. There were scattered refund chants while everyone was waiting for the rain to pass, which wasn’t really fair to the promotion.
The Northeast Wrestling event was originally scheduled for early August and was pushed back to 9/22 after Hulk Hogan required back surgery. Since the entire show was built around him, the show needed to be rescheduled. Once it was, there seemed to be a number of elements working against NEW. WWE announced a show in White Plains for the same date and time. Hogan, in an apparent fit of confusion, wrote on Twitter he wouldn’t be appearing. Jerry Lawler obviously had to cancel off. Then, the rains came. It was obviously a frustrating day.
In a smart move, the promotion opened up the pre-show meet and greet at 2 PM, earlier than the original plan, which allowed fans to get through and meet Hogan, Piper and the other names on the show. The promotion also booked an early interview segment where Hogan and Piper interacted. Since Hogan was the draw of the show, a good portion of the crowd left after that segment. The crowd estimates were in the 2,000-2,300 range.
Results from the card:
*Adam Pearce defeated Caleb Konley.
*Hacksaw Duggan and Bill Carr defeated Mr TA and Jake Manning.
*Hulk Hogan and Roddy Piper did a 20 minute+ back and forth on the mic which was said to have been great for nostalgia.
*Rosita and Madison Rayne defeated Velvet Sky and Angelina Love.
*Vader defeated Tony Nese.
*Brian Anthony defeated Matt Taven in a bout that immediately went to the finish as the rains came in.
*After a long intermission, Matt Hardy beat Sami Callihan in a quick four minute bout.
*Former NY Yankee Joe Ausanio & Goldust defeated Romeo Roselli & Luke Robinson in another quick match.
Last 10 posts in ROH News
- Konnan & X-Pac Create Kickstarter For Lucha Series - May 23rd, 2013
- Updated CHIKARA, EVOLVE & SHINE iPPV Cards - May 23rd, 2013
- ROH News: SCUM Logo, Steen, Hardy/Corino, More - May 23rd, 2013
- Two Matches For ROH: Best In The World iPPV - May 23rd, 2013
- Sami Callihan & DGUSA Part Ways + DGUSA News - May 23rd, 2013
- Ring Warriors Promotion Announces Restructuring - May 23rd, 2013
- Various News: McManus Passes Away, CHIKARA - May 22nd, 2013
- ROH Officially Announces 'Briscoe Brothers Battle' - May 21st, 2013
- When Will Matt Hardy Get His ROH Title Shot? - May 18th, 2013
- ROH House Show Results 5.18: Richmond, VA - May 18th, 2013